IMSERC Fun Facts:
• Total NMR magnetic field in 2013: 101T / 3900 MHz / 25,000,000x Earth’s magnetic field
• Length of superconducting wire in IMSERC: over 1,500 miles
• Number Experiments in 2012: 74,000
• Darkroom closed: 2000
• Photographic images taken in 2012: ~5 million
• Most selective instrument? You decide:
– The ICP MS can determine metal concentration to 1 part in a billion (equivalent to picking out a single person from the Earth’s population).
– Mass spectrometry can detect a mass difference of 10-29 g
– X-Ray crystallography can accurately measure atom spacings to 10-13 meters
Our IMSERC logo was designed by Chemistry major Torin Dupper. The logo features a spectrum peak and a shining beam of light representing the data we collect and the insights we provide for Northwestern Research.