IMSERC has online pre-training materials for each area. To request training, obtain information on the instruments and take the pretraining quiz (NMR only) go to:
- ICPAES: Request training through QBIC at: http://qbic.facilities.northwestern.edu/
- Mass Spectrometry: http://imserctraining.northwestern.edu/MSTrainingRequest/multiscreen.html
- NMR Spectroscopy: http://imserc.facilities.northwestern.edu/nmr/nmr-training/
- Optical Instruments: http://imserctraining.northwestern.edu/OpticalTrainingRequest/multiscreen.html
- X-Ray: Contact an X-Ray staff member
New users should have samples ready for analysis when requesting training. Most instruments have training sessions once a week. Users will typically receive limited access after the first training session. For example, mass spectrometry users will receive day time access only and NMR users will receive access for a limited number of instruments/experiments. After new users have 5-10 hours of experimenting, users are expected to schedule a followup session where details related to individual experiments can be covered. At this point, additional access to equipment is granted.
Hands-on training for X-Ray diffractomers is typically performed only after students have completed the X-Ray crystallography class, which is taught in the winter quarter. Contact an X-Ray staff member before requesting training.